Egypt’s Al Ahly beat Raja to claim 8th CAF Super Cup

2021-12-23 | Since 5 Month

Egypt’s Al Ahly beat Raja to claim 8th CAF Super Cup

Doha, 23 December 2021 - Al Ahly won their eighth CAF Super Cup after edging out Raja Club Athletic 6-5 in a dramatic post-match penalties shootout after a 1-1 draw in regulation time at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium. 

Raja’s Abdelilah Madkour skied his sudden death penalty to hand Ahly the title, after all the first five shooters had expertly tucked away the penalties.

The TotalEnergies CAF Champions League holders had forced the game into extra time after Mohamed Taher had scored the equaliser at the stroke of 90 minutes, cancelling out Raja’s 13th minute opener.

On penalties, both sides were spot on in the first five. Ali Maaloul, Badr Benoun, Percy Tau, Ahmed Radwan and Taher had scored the first five for Ahly while Mohamed Azrida, Zakaria El Wardi, Marouane Hadhoudi, Mahmoud Benhalib and skipper Mohsine Mouataouali had responded for Raja.

In sudden death, Akram Tawfik scored the first for Ahly, but Madkour skied his response for Raja.

In regulation, time, Raja broke into the lead in the 13th minute when Ahly defender Yasser Ibrahim turned the ball into his own net in a highly competitive tie.

A swift counter attack by the Green Eagles saw Madkour break through on the right before taking a shot that beat Mohamed Elshenawy in the Ahly goal. Ibrahim’s attempt to cut away the shot only ended in deflecting it into the net.

Hamid Ahadad who was following it through ensured it would be a definite goal, though the ball had already crossed the line by the time he was getting a touch on it.

Ahly sought to get back on level terms immediately in the end to end game and Hussein El Shahat came close with a shot from 20 yards out but the effort was smothered away by Anas Zniti in the Raja goal.

On the other end Elshenawy was also forced to work when he narrowed his angle well to keep away a shot from Abdeljalil Djibra. The end to end encounter couldn’t produce more goals before the break.

In the second half, the Red Devils of Cairo were more adventurous and pressed Raja to defend in their half, as they tried to get an equaliser.

Mohamed Magdy Afsha came close when he picked up a volley from distance, but keeper Zniti made a comfortable save.

Ahly piled the pressure but Raja were standing tall in defence, cutting out all the cross balls. Percy Tau came close for Ahly with nine minutes left when a flicked ball from substitute Mohamed Sherif landed on his path, but his effort at volleying over the keeper placed the ball wide.

Ahly kept the pressure, and it paid off at the stroke of 90 minutes when Taher found the back of the net.

Zniti had just made a fine save to deny Afsha and Tau picked the rebound, feeding off Taher who struck the ball home from inside the box. 

With a draw in regulation time, the game went to penalties.

Pitso Mosimane, Al Ahly’s head coach, was thrilled after his team were crowned champions of the CAF Super Cup title.

“I would like to thank the club’s president El Khatib (Bibo), the board, and everyone,” Mosimane said.

“I feel good. We have to congratulate and thank the players.

We practised penalties during the training sessions before the match. We played against a tough opponent who tried to waste time in the end but we had the spirit to win,” he said.


Add Comment